Stuart's Bike

I wanted to use something a bit more sturdier than a full carbon road bike as the roads may not be the best and we will also be carrying all our clothing and belongings for the full duration. I already had a full carbon Specialized hybrid bike with a Shimano 105 group set & hydraulic disc brakes which I didn't use too much, but I actually wanted to do the trip on something with drop handle bars. Looking around on the internet I purchase some Specialized drop bars off Ebay & some STI hydraulic shifters from Evans Cycles and Bounce MTB in Preston converted it for me along with upgrading the wheels. With the more upright geometry due to it really being an hybrid, and 32mm wide tyres which will give a smoother ride I think it should make a decent touring bike - We will see.



Bike after conversion



Bike before conversion




Further upgrades I carried out was fitting new mudguards as there is no doubt it will rain during riding and there is nothing worse than a face and back full of muddy rain. I also purchased a new rear rack which will accommodate two 20L Ortlieb waterproof detachable panniers, I may only take one pannier on the trip and I intend to do a few rides out with my intended clothing & personal contents to see if I actually need both, as we are not taking any camping equipment I think one will be sufficient.

Saddle Bag will contain spare bike tube & tyre, Topeak multitool, small adjustable spanner, tyre leavers, chain links & surgical gloves.

Mid-loader will contain large 1.5litre bottle of water ( I will also have two bottle holders ). Bike cleaning rag and chain / bike lubrication spray & bike pump.

Top-Loader will contain any items that I may need while cycling or small easy to reach items such snacks / camera / bike lock.

Front bar bag is detachable and fully water proof and will contain our passports, cash & electrical items such as phone, portable battery chargers so we can charge while on the move. The top of the bar bag has a clear pouch so we can read any maps or Google mapping off our phone while cycling.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuart's Vietnam Cycling Tour - Final Summary

Day 18 - Dalat to Phu Lam

Day 15 - Ea Drang to Buon Ma Thout