Alex's Bike


Prior to booking our trip to Vietnam I had only two bikes at my disposal which covered all forms of riding that I have previously done, A Ribble carbon fibre sportive road bike and a Trek off road Mountain bike, However, taking on this challenge of an unsupported ride from Hanoi to Ho chi Minh city it was clear neither bike would best placed for this challenge and other options would be more suitable. 



Bike after up grades

Original bike

Carrying all our personal belongings and everything needed throughout the journey I needed something a bit sturdier than my carbon road bike and something quicker than my full suspension MTB so we could cover more ground quicker. I purchased a Boardman CX comp, cyclocross bike. The Boardman CX Comp’s frame is made from triple butted alloy so although I am giving away some weight advantage to a full carbon bike, it will be a stronger frame and be able to carry the extra weight I will be carrying over any tough/uneven ground we encounter in Vietnam. This bike is an effective entry level cyclocross bike and should make a very good touring bike. There are some cons though, IE the weight (11kg stand alone) but compared to Stuarts bike which is carbon and lighter mine will be far stronger and won't break!!  We will see how we get on...


I haven't done to much with the bike itself in terms of changing anything mechanically, apart from replacing the chain, fitting some SPD pedals & mudguards. The bike has got 32mm Schwalbe Marathon tyres which are perfect for touring.
I fitted a rear rack which will hold 2 x 20l Ortlieb waterproof detachable panniers just like Stuarts.  

As for other bags, it is a very similar set up to Stuarts bike minus the Front frame bag.
I have 1x 3L mid loader which will hold extra water and other small equipment.... Extra SNACKS! , A medium size saddle bag for Bike tubes/Tyre, multitool kit etc and a Top loader which will contain items I may need to hand while riding, small amounts of money, phone, maps, More food!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuart's Vietnam Cycling Tour - Final Summary

Day 18 - Dalat to Phu Lam

Day 15 - Ea Drang to Buon Ma Thout